Sunday, November 22, 2009

Technology Assessments

In Course 5352 Instructional Leadership: The Technology Link, we were asked to take 2 assessments on technology use. It appeared these were more like surveys that gave an overview of the educators use of technology and that of the students as well. While I would consider normally consider myself to be techno-literate, after reviewing taking these assessments, I have to reconsider. I am quite familiar with a few operating systems and totally oblivious about many others. The domain I seem to be most comfortable with is communication. I believe I can safely assume that this is my strongest area because this is what I do regularly. The other domains require in-depth knowledge of systems, not just your use of them. In summarize, I have concluded that as educators, we should regularly engage in the latest technology course to stay abreast on how the systems are changing and why.

The SETDA Teachers Survey asked us to evaluate how students were applying technology and it's effectiveness on learning. All the questions were thorough and broad enough to lead me to draw a few conclusions from my own observations. One would be, in order to see if students are benefiting from advanced technology that's offered to students. While some teachers don't offer the same amount or applications of technology, those that do, should have some system in place to ensure it's effectiveness. The second and most apparent conclusion is that Best Practices is the foundation, but that is not always communicated to the classroom teacher. Using technology for teaching is a very flexible area that may only be applied when the teacher is being observed.

I urge educators to challenge themselves to stay abreast on technological advances. Where will you go from here, so that your students are advanced?

No comments:

Post a Comment